Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Open Door

Open Door
This is a picture of a door leading to a classroom in the current space being used for the Christian School in Cotzal; 82 students, grades 1-6 being taught under a leaking roof in dank facilities. The parents of these children have decided it is worth the 25Q per month (about $3) to have their children in a Christian learning environment. Public education would be free – but the public education is not effective. So they dig deep into their limited budget and pay the 25Q. If a family cannot come up with the 25Q, Tabita and the teachers quietly help cover their cost. They do not turn anyone away who wants to learn. Sadly, as the children learn to read and write, the number of students drops off as the parents feel they have learned what they need to know. But Tabita and her staff tirelessly work to inspire the students.
God led us to Cotzal. He called us to raise the education level of the people in the Ixil. He led us to Tabita, a real saint to the children she teaches. He showed us the way to this open door to new possibilities – an open door to making a difference to the children of Cotzal. An open door to bringing a better tomorrow to a region weighted down by years of war and oppression. But what? How? With what resources?
The real question is:  Do I have the faith required to jump in with both feet and say yes, we trust that God will provide the financial resources required to build a new school? Or would I rather hedge my bet and throw in a few dollars to provide materials and perhaps scholarships?  A question of faith?!  If I feel called, why would I doubt that the resources would be made available – and in abundance!  It requires a kind of “Sun Stand Still” faith to make it happen.  Do I have the confidence to look Tabita in the eye and say, “I believe God will raise the necessary money to build a school where He will be glorified.  Let’s get started!”  It is a question of faith, is it not?
Amanda sent me an email asking what was I doing on 11/11/11 at 11:11am. I was literally standing at the open door way of Tabita’s home – being invited in to hear her story. I believe we were being invited to take part in a new chapter. I invite you to join us on an 11:11 path of prayer. Everyday – when you can think about it – join us at 11:11am in prayer for the children of Cotzal. I trust God will tell you how to pray. I believe that amazing things will begin to happen. When God whispers a reply, I ask you to drop us a note and tell us what you heard.
Rich
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

No comments:

Post a Comment